Photo: Hazel Jane (Here)
When I first saw the picture above on Flickr, I squeed a little at how gorgeous the shoes are. Since then I've wanted a pair of glittery shoes to channel my inner Dorothy (from the Wizard of Oz). I knew that Christian Louboutin make a gorgeous pair, but unfortunately they're way beyond my reach. I recently bought a pair of gorgeous purple peeptoes in the Next sale for £12. Despite the lovely colour, I decided that glitter was the way forward. This resulted in me taking a trip to Wilkinson and buying a vat of glitter.
I saw a tutorial online about covering the whole shoe in glue and then sprinkling the glitter onto the shoe, however I decided that that would be WAY too messy! So I decided to do it a little differently.
What you'll need:
- A pair of shoes
- Loose glitter
- PVA glue
- A sponge brush or paintbrush
- Masking tape (If required)
2. Mix the glitter and glue. There aren't any actual defined quantities to use, but I just mixed a load of coloured glitter until I got the colour I wanted and gradually mixed in the glue. The consistency should be pretty runny. If you have too much glitter in the mixture (like on the first coat I did), it will be chunky and hard to spread.
3. Paint the glitter/glue mixture onto your shoe in a thin layer. Allow this to dry completely (It takes approximately an hour) and apply another coat, specifically concentrating on areas that look sparse. I did 3 layers in total to get an opaque, glittery finish.
4. Once the shoe is dry, remove the masking tape carefully. Paint a thin layer of varnish over the top of the shoe to make sure the glitter doesn't fall off when you wear them. And finito, you're done! :) I don't think the last picture shows how pretty and glittery the shoes are. I decided to leave the heel purple so it's a little bit different. I might add more glitter to the heel sometime down the line if I feel like it or want a change.
What do you think of glittery shoes?
Hope you enjoyed the post. Thank you for reading. xoxo, Joy